Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Mythical Playoff Projections Week 10


(Never gets old!  Well...not for me)


The playoffs are mythical, but the projections are as real as it gets, dog.  If you have read my work on here, or better yet if you have ever talked college football with me (Seriously, who talks anymore??  That's sooooo 1997!) you know my disdain for the BCS and the lack of a playoff.  I gave you the initial playoff setup and projections and promised updates throughout the year.  Well here you is, my latest projections.  Remember, top 4 seeds get first round byes and homefield in the second round, before the national finals and finals are played in current big bowl games (Fiesta, Rose, Orange, Sugar, Poulan Weed Eater, and maybe the Cotton).  Ok, nnnooowww here you is:

1).  LSU (SEC Champ)-  I think they have proven they're the top team in the country.  Sure the final score of the Alabama game was "only" 9-6, but they defense is insane.  As I've said, the offense does just enough.
2).  Oklahoma State (Big 12...ish Champ)-  Can an insanely high powered offense win a championship, while dragging a dead leg of a defense behind them?  Well Mike Gundy, you remember him, and his boys are trying to find out.  A potential semifinal matchup vs the Crimson Tide, would help answer that argument.
3).  Alabama (SEC #2)-  Look, I'm a Gamecock, I make no bones about that, but even if we win the SEC East, we are not the second best team in the conference.  Even if Georgia wins the East (please please please Auburn beat them), THEY are not the second best team in the conference.  Everyone wants a rematch between the Tide and Tigers for the National Title, but this is the only way that could happen.  This team could easily be the #2 seed.
4).  Stanford (Pac-12 Champ)-  This is the closest call I had to make.  Stanford or Boise for that 4th seed?  And this is why people who say the regular season would be rendered meaningless are idiots.  You don't think if that first round bye is on the line teams won't be playing their ass off?  Thought so.  Basically the tiebreaker for this spot was that Stanford has Andrew Luck, he's the best player in college football.  I know that shouldn't matter, especially when Boise has a damn good QB in Kellen Moore, but I had to decide somehow.
5).  Boise State (Mountain West Champs/Non-BCS #1)-  Remember, in my model, two of the 12 playoff spots are reserved for non-BCS league champions.  Frankly Boise would make it in even without that stipulation.  They are one fo the five best teams in America, and could easily be the #4 seed, especially if Stanford slips up the rest of the way.
6).  Oklahoma (Big 12...ish #2)-  It will be interesting to see how the Sooners respond to losing All-American Wideout Ryan Broyles for the season.  Knowing how that offense works, they will recover and continue to put up huge points.  Now perhaps they are a little high considering they lost to Texas Tech...at home, which suddenly seems like an atrocious loss.  But I still think they are one of the 10 best teams in America, and could easily climb higher if they win out and beat Oklahoma State.
7).  The Other School in South Carolina (ACC Champ)-  Ecchhhh.  Really grossed out by this.  But they are good.  The conference is not.  That's not a good recipe for those of us who want to see this team fail.  I'm going to take a bath now.
8).  Penn State (Big Ten...ish Champ)-  I did not see this one coming.  I would have guessed Michigan State, Wisconsin, or hell, even Ohio State before this team.  But hey, here we are.  This is probably the most fluid of all the teams on here due to everything that's going on in State College this week. 
9).  Oregon (Pac-12 #2)-  Maybe it's just me, but I feel like this team just absolutely fell off the map after losing to LSU.  Stanford needs to be careful this week, cause the Ducks are still a good team.  This spot was between Oregon and Va Tech, but I couldn't with a  good conscience, put a second ACC team in the playoffs.
10).  Michigan State (Big Ten...ish #2)-  I think this is a pretty good team.  A loss to Notre Dame kinda sticks out (thank God that the Irish won't be going to the BCS or the "playoffs" this year) as does the pitiful effort in Lincoln, NE.  With allll that said, I think they are better than Ohio State, Wisconsin, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, and Southern Miss.  So they get the #10 seed.
11).  Houston (C-USA Champ/Non-BCS #2)-  This team has the same principle as the Oklahoma State Cowboys.  Unbelievable offense and just horrible defense.  Defense is even worse than Oklahoma State's, but anytime a quarterback can throw 9 touchdowns in a game, the offense must be doin somthin right huh?  The Cougars could easily be the 12 seed, but I don't want the two non-BCS conference schools playing each other in the first round.  So I elevated them...that plus I have no respect for the Big East.
12). Cincinnati (Big East)- I don't think this team should be allowed in. No one from this conference should be allowed it. It's embarassing how unbelievably below average this conference is. But until and unless the "powers that be" realize that they are not worthy of an automatic bid to a major bowl game, I guess I will play along with the charade.

-Major Munnerlyn

No comments: